Clinic changes and the coronavirus pandemic
- In response to the many enquiries we have received during the last few weeks, we have decided to change the clinic operations.
- To practice social distancing, all consultations are via telephone or skype.
- We are restocking our dispensary with medicines we consider to be some of the best natural compounds for supporting immune function and treating symptoms of viral infections.
- We will continue to report on the emerging medical information about the coronavirus and share out knowledge about supportive therapies.
- Erin and Michael will continue provide personalised health advice but not face-to-face. Please do not come to our house unless by prior arrangement.
- We also offer an affordable 15 minute consultation for advice regarding immune support and preventative measures.
We are not aware of any specific dietary interventions, which will reduce the risk of viral infections. So we recommend a healthy, plant-based diet such as the Mediterranea diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables. Proteins are essential for good immune function so we recommend a good intake. As always we recommend plant-based proteins including tofu, green beans, nuts and grains. A healthy gut microbiome (beneficial bacteria) is also essential and beans, vegetables and grains are the best foods for encouraging a healthy microbiome. Non-vegans can add free-range eggs and organic dairy. We also recommend wild-caught fish and for those who can access it, healthy, Tasmanian meat if you are so inclined.
- Zinc and vitamin A are critical for good immunity. See the blog article from the Conversation. Also probiotics and lactoferrin.
- Available from medical practitioners familiar with the protocols for intravenous vitamin C. Not available from naturopaths.
Herbal medicines which may be helpful in supporting immunity: echinacea, astragalus, Siberian ginseng, andrographis. Possibly St. John’s wort. Medical mushrooms.